Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Lachrymal Quietus - Udjat for Awakening

I shot this video in second semester to be played on a television screen in my final project, Through Doorways. It runs on an Ancient Egyptian myth of the udjat, The Eye of Horus, which was said to have the power of healing, and even the ability to resurrect the dead. (really a fascinating myth, read it)

The problem at the time was that I couldn't find any audio to suit it, so when it appeared in full in the bonus features it had no audio. A semester later I was walking home from school and by chance thought of this video and as if by magic heard the song in my head. I got home, recorded a first draft, made a few revisions and recorded it. I'm actually quite amazed how well it works with the flow of the video considering they were written separately but fuse together as if conceived together.

Now, my film snob friend thinks the video sucks, but I think the shot composition, colour and pace sing the threnody eloquently. Please enjoy Udjat for Awakening.

No comments: